Frequently Asked Questions for Coterm Applicants

When should I apply? Students may apply to the coterm as early as junior year after completing 120 units, and no later than the quarter prior to the expected completion of the undergraduate degree. For example, students who plan to graduate with their bachelor’s degree in Spring 2024-2025 should submit the coterm application between November 09, 2023 and January 17, 2024.

Applications are accepted for autumn, winter or spring start. See Coterm Admissions Overview for the dates when the application will open and close for each quarter.

What is the course transfer policy for Electrical Engineering? Courses taken during or after the first quarter of the sophomore year are eligible for consideration for transfer to the graduate career; the timing of the first graduate quarter is not a factor. No courses taken prior to the first quarter of the sophomore year may be used to meet master's degree requirements.

Is the GRE required for admission? No; our department does not require the GRE.

What are the minimum GPA requirements for admission? Applicants do not need to meet any minimum grade point average (GPA) to secure admission, and we do not release information about average GPAs of admitted students. As a guideline, successful applicants typically earn undergraduate cumulative GPAs among the top of their class. However, please keep in mind that admission to our graduate programs depends on a combination of factors, and all areas of a student’s application are weighed when applications are reviewed.

Am I eligible to apply if my undergraduate major is not Electrical Engineering? Yes; students with a strong technical background in engineering, physical sciences, or mathematics are welcome to apply. An undergraduate major in Electrical Engineering is not strictly required.

Are specific prerequisite courses required for admission? No; we advise prospective applicants to review the EE Graduate Handbook and the Stanford Course Catalog to evaluate what prerequisites are needed for graduate-level courses in your area(s) of interest.

Will my application still be reviewed if fewer than two of my recommenders are from the EE department? Yes; however, at least two EE references are encouraged as they can comment on your performance in EE coursework and/or research. We strongly recommend that all three letters of recommendation come from Stanford faculty (rather than teaching assistants or postdocs). It is ultimately your decision as to which references will best support your application. Your application will still be reviewed regardless of where your letters of recommendation come from.

My recommenders are having technical difficulties with the online letters of recommendation process. Who should they contact? Please refer them to our application database provider's Letters of Recommendation Help page or have them submit an online help request form directly to our application database provider.

Is financial assistance available for coterm students? Yes; please see Dean’s Office Financial Support for information.

Coterms who have completed 180 units may be eligible for course and research assistantships in the department. For more information, please see Financial Assistance for MS Students.

How do I transfer courses between my undergraduate and graduate careers? To request transfer of courses, students should complete the Coterminal Course Approval Form and submit it to the Student Services Center by the Final Study List deadline of the final undergraduate quarter. Course transfers are not possible after the bachelor's degree has been conferred. This form should be signed by EE's Degree Progress Officer, as well as by the Student Services Officer in your home department if your undergraduate major is not EE.

Return to Coterm Program Overview

Coterm Overview