For each Stanford advanced degree, there is an approved course of study that meets both the University requirements described in the Stanford Bulletin, as well as Department requirements described in the EE Graduate Handbook. The Care and Feeding of Advisors and Advisees document is available to provide some general guidance and encouragement for students and their advisors to have a helpful, productive, and supportive relationship.
MS Student Progress
• Depth in one subject area,
• Breadth outside the depth area,
• Additional coursework in engineering, natural sciences and/or mathematics,
• Unit requirement fulfillment (45 units total).
PhD Student Progress
• Find a research topic and supervisor,
• Pass the department’s qualifying examination,
• Complete the candidacy form (complete the courses listed),
• Form a dissertation reading committee,
• Pass the Oral Examination, in which dissertation results are presented and defended,
• Submit the dissertation to the university.
Degree Progress Officer / Director of Student & Academic Services
Graduate Student Teaching Advisor
Office Hours: Thursday and Friday 1-4pm
The following information will serve as useful references for all graduate students:
Stanford Graduate Academic Policies and Procedures (GAP Handbook)