Nano- and micro-electromechanical systems (NEMS/MEMS) are useful for applications ranging from chemical sensors and relays to logic devices. Examples include:
- The design of MEMS accelerometers, gyroscopes, electrostatic actuators, and microresonators;
- Interfacial engineering for NEMS/MEMS;
- Biosensors, magnetic biochips, in vitro diagnostics, cell sorting, magnetic nanoparticles, spin electronic materials and sensors, magnetic inductive heads, and magnetic integrated inductors and transformers;
- Flexible substrates for electronics, sensors, and energy conversion platforms;
- Nanofabrication and nanopatterning technologies, including self-assembly for device fabrication.