In July and August, Professor Tsachy Weissman and the Stanford Compression Forum hosted the 2020 STEM to SHTEM (Science, Humanities, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) internship program for high schoolers.
The summer program welcomed 64 high school students. The students were matched with one of nineteen projects ranging from financial exchanges to narratives of science and social justice – a full list follows. Each of the project groups were supervised by mentors from the Compression Forum.
The 8-week STEM to SHTEM Program culminates in final reports that often weave an entirely new perspective. As a team, the students' interests and knowledge are combined with traditional research methodology. Several mentors provide guidance during the experience and encourage exploration of the interns' strengths and interests.
Special thanks to program coordinators Cindy Nguyen and Suzanne Sims.
Congratulations to all the 2020 STEM to SHTEM Program interns! We enjoyed working with you and look forward to hearing from you in the future.
Students' final reports describe new insights and broaden knowledge of the topics. A few takeaways from the 2020 projects include,
- the use of animation to improve the quality and efficiency of video communication;
- theatrical performance as technology and a pandemic create new boundaries;
- how might today's "science" and world be different If history had been more inclusive of the sciences that exist but aren't well-known?
Complete list of projects from STEM to SHTEM Program. Source: theinformaticists.com[...]journal-for-high-schoolers-2020
1. Applications of Astrophysics to Multimedia Art-Making In Parallel to Narratives of Science and Social Justice
2. Artificial Neural Networks with Edge-Based Architecture
3. COVerage: Region-Specific SARS-CoV-2 News Query Algorithm
4. Developing and Testing New Montage Methods in Electroencephalography
5. Fundamental Differences Between The Driving Patterns of Humans and Autonomous Vehicles
6. Identifying and Quantifying Differences Among SARS-CoV-2 Genomes Using K-mer Analysis
7. Improving the Infrastructure of a Financial Exchange System in the Cloud
8. Journal for High Schoolers in 2020
9. Keypoint-Centric Video Processing for Reducing Net Latency in Video Streaming
10. Olfaction Communication System
11. Optimizing the Measurement of SPO2 With a Miniaturized Forehead Sensor
12. Properties and effects of ion implantation into silicon and wide bandgap materials
13. ProtographLDPC: Implementation of Protograph LDPC error correction codes
14. RF/mm-Wave Semiconductor Technology for 5G Applications and Beyond
15. The Price of Latency in Financial Exchanges
16. Understanding COVID-19 Through Sentiment Analysis on Twitter and Economic Data
17. Virtual Reality for Emotional Response
18. Vision-Based Robotic Object Manipulation: Using a Human-Mimicking Hand Design with Pure
19. Object Recognition Algorithms to Intelligently Grasp Complex Items
20. YOU ARE HERE (AND HERE AND THERE): A Virtual Extension of Theatre