Academic year 2022/2023
Integrated circuit design & engineering is more critical than ever. With a slowing of Moore’s law and end of Dennard scaling, challenges abound to deliver ever increasing performance and power efficiency. Apple has long recognized these challenges, and develops world-class silicon for its products. Apple's Hardware Technologies (HWT) team is very excited to kickoff the Integrated Systems PhD fellowship program at Stanford. This program recognizes a few top students with expressed interest in IC engineering, SoC design, verification, test, and Computer Architecture. This unique and highly selective program provides both a paid summer internship at Apple and financial support covering costs of one academic year* of PhD program (fall, winter, and spring quarters), which include stipend and tuition at Stanford. To be eligible, you should be a currently enrolled PhD student in EE at Stanford and ideally have two years or more remaining to receive the full value of the fellowship.
Expectations of an Apple PhD Fellow in Integrated Systems include satisfactory progress in the PhD program, satisfactory completion of internship at Apple HWT for at least one summer, and continued research related to IC engineering / computer architecture*.
(*Disbursement of funds will be to Stanford )
Applications can be submitted and finalists will be interviewed as part of the evaluation process.
- Application open: September 6, 2021
- Application deadline: October 24, 2021
- To be eligible, you should ideally be between your first and fourth year of PhD
- Typical applications are received during fall of the first or second year of the student’s PhD, with funding beginning the subsequent fall.
- Finalist interviews: from Nov. 2021 to Feb 2022
- Decisions back: February 2022
- The Fellowships are for students who are enrolled full-time at Stanford
- Students who currently hold another industry-sponsored full-fellowship will not be considered
- Students who receive internship from another company during Fellowship funded years are not eligible
- Current Apple employees and household members are not eligible
- Student name (first and last), email and PhD year
- Expected internship year and term (Summer, Fall, Winter & Spring). Summer preferred.
- Student resume or CV, including links to any publications if appropriate.
- Student transcripts graduate and undergraduate (unofficial) with GPA.
- Two letters of recommendation (one from current PhD advisor). Student should provide the names and email addresses of two references in their application. It is the responsibility of the student to make sure the letters of recommendation are forwarded by their references to the latest by one week after the application deadline, i.e., Oct. 31 2021 is the deadline for reference letters.
- Student statement of academic and career interests, and include links to any relevant research
- In 500 words or fewer, please describe why and how you’re interested in IC engineering/SoC design/verification/test, and/or computer architecture
- Include which area(s) and classes of EE interest you most academically and professionally
- Also describe any work you’ve done up to this point that you think is relevant to future work in ICs