Item 1 is submitted online via Axess. Items 2-5 may be submitted by hard copy to Packard 173 or by e-mail to email@example.com.
1. Graduate Program Authorization Petition Form & Petition Fee (Axess)
Please follow the instructions on the Graduate Program Authorization Petition page on the Registrar's website to submit the petition. The petition fee is $125. This fee will be added to your university bill should you be admitted to the program and choose to accept the offer of admission.
2. Transcripts (Unofficial)
Please submit unofficial transcripts from Stanford University and all post-secondary institutions you attended prior to Stanford (e.g., undergraduate institution).
3. Statement of Purpose
Succinctly describe your reasons for applying to the M.S. program, which may include:
- Preparation for this field of study;
- Why our program is a good fit for you;
- Future career plans;
- Other relevant aspects of your background and interests.
The statement should not exceed one (1) page, single-spaced.
You may type and save information directly on this form.
5. Letters of Recommendation (3)
A maximum and minimum of three (3) letters of recommendation are required.
a. Choosing Your Recommenders
Our Admissions Committee is charged with evaluating your aptitude and motivation for graduate study in Electrical Engineering. Therefore:
- Letters should come from academic (or professional) references that speak to your academic and/or research background. Two letters from EE faculty are strongly preferred;
- Recommenders should know you well and be able to comment on your strengths as well as your potential for graduate study in Electrical Engineering.
b. Submission Guidelines
- Letters may arrive separately from other application materials. They will be matched with your application.
- Letters may be submitted directly from the recommenders by hard copy to Packard 173 or by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If letters are delivered by the student, they must be in a sealed envelope with the recommender’s signature on the flap.
- Remember to fill in the checkbox on the Supplemental Information Form indicating that you waive your right to view the recommendations.
For PhD students outside the School of Engineering: You are also required to submit the Tuition Agreement for Students with Multiple Programs form to determine the tuition amount assessed each quarter and to prevent duplicate tuition charges. Please have your home department sign this form and then submit it with your application. If your petition is approved, we will sign the form and return it to you. The form should be submitted to the Student Services Center after you receive the e-mail confirmation from email@example.com that your petition has been approved (this is separate from the decision letter sent by the department).