From Electrical Engineering TA Handbook
Congratulations on your EE CA appointment!
Please read the contents of this handbook very carefully and follow the instructions as indicated. If you have any questions at this time or in the future, please feel free to stop by the Student Services Office in the EE Administrative Suite and we will be happy to help. This list contains administrative tasks you need to complete as well as information that you should be aware of. "Getting Started as an EE CA" lists more items that should be taken care of as soon as possible.
(1) Obtain an e-mail address
If you do not already have a Stanford e-mail account please open one as soon as possible. Since most correspondence will be via e-mail, it is critical that you get into the habit of checking e-mail frequently. Stanford accounts are opened online at http://sunetid.stanford.edu/. Questions should be directed to the IT Help Desk at 725-HELP.
(2) Contact info
It is also required for all EE students to enter their e-mail address, day time office and phone number (if applicable) in the "Address" portion of the student Axess system. The e-mail address is added to the EE distribution list and it is the OFFICIAL means of notifying students. This e-mail address will also be used to inform students of information ranging from registration requirements and holds to departmental parties. The office and phone information are used to create a departmental directory. For all but first-quarter students, failure to enter this information into the Axess system will prevent a student from submitting their study list online. This will likely result in late fees. To prevent this, students are strongly encouraged to open an e-mail account and enter the data as soon as possible. It is essential that this information be up-to-date at all times.
(3) Read the TA Handbook
Please read the EE TA Handbook in full. Pay special attention to "The Care and Feeding of Teaching Assistants." It will help you to understand what will be expected of you and what you can expect from us.
(4) Complete payroll paperwork
To receive your paychecks on time, you must complete and file your new-hire paperwork by the end of the first week of the quarter. You are required to pay (or make arrangements with the Bursar Office to pay through payroll deduction) all non-tuition fees on or before the University deadline. Failure to take care of these fees will result in late fee charges. Here is a list of some important pay-related forms:
- W-4 Tax Form (required)
- I-9 form (required)
- Direct deposit (optional): https://axess.stanford.edu/. We encourage all of our employees to use direct deposit to avoid lost or stolen checks. The completed form should be given to the Financial Associate Mimi Qian in the EE department.
- Payroll deduction (optional): https://axess.stanford.edu/
- International forms (required for international students): Your TA appointment is subject to the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 and specifies that you must be legally authorized to work in the U.S. You must go to Packard 164 to complete the necessary paperwork. These web sites may help you get your paper work figured out: http://icenter.stanford.edu/quick_reference/soc_sec.html
- For international students: http://www.stanford.edu/group/fms/fingate/students/
(5) Reserve an Office Hour Room (if needed) or Review Session Classroom
If you need to reserve a room for your office hours in the Packard building, please reserve the room(s) online a http://eeta.stanford.edu/. Additionally, if you need to reserve a classroom for a course review/ problem sessions, please contact Doris Chan firstname.lastname@example.org with your classroom requirements.
(6) Autumn Quarter Workshops and Seminars
- EE TA Orientation: If you are a new CA to EE, OR if you have not been a CA for the past 4 quarters, you are required to attend the EE TA Orientation on Friday, September 23 from 1P.M. to 4P.M. in Packard 202. Please RSVP at email@example.com
- SCPD Instructor/TA Information Session: TBA.For questions about SCPD classes and for RSVP to SCPD Instructor/TA Information Session contact Predislava Derugin firstname.lastname@example.org
- CTL TA Orientation: Friday, September 23 from 8A.M. to Noon in the Hewlett Teaching Center. No pre-registration required.
- See Training and Development and Pedagogy Reading Group for more information on TA developmental opportunities
We hope TAing for EE will be a wonderful experience for you and we look forward to working with you.
EE Student Services