Pedagogy Reading Group
From Electrical Engineering TA Handbook
We invite you to join us each quarter! Explore pedagogical topics in greater detail through reading and discussion. All TAs are welcome and encouraged to join.
This group is open to all EE CAs and TAs who are interested in reading and discussing pedagogical topics and issues related to teaching. We meet two to three times each quarter for an hour to discuss articles (less than 25 pages per session) that will help to inform your teaching practice. Some of the topics will be directly connected to the TA quarterly workshops and some may be new. Reading materials are available onine in the TA Handbok at the beginning of each quarter.
The goals of the CA Pedagogy Reading Group:
- Create a space in which ideas can be shared and open dialogue about teaching can occur
- Bridge pedagogical theories and practices
- Foster a community of teachers and scholars who are committed to the practice of teaching
Autumn Quarter Reading Group Schedule
Self-Management & Time Management
Monday, October 11
3:30PM to 4:30PM
• Ailamaki, A.; Gehrke, J. (2003). Time Management for New Faculty 32(2), 102-106. Retrieved September 28, 2010 from http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=776985.777004.
Managing Effect Grading
Wednesday, October 20
• Davis, B.G. (1993) Tools for Teaching. Jossey-Bass: San Fransisco. Retrieved August 10, 2010 from http://teaching.berkeley.edu/bgd/grading.html
• Moskal, Barbara M. (2000). Scoring rubrics: what, when and how?. Practical Assessment, Research & Evaluation, 7(3). Retrieved August 10, 2010 from http://PAREonline.net/getvn.asp?v=7&n=3
What is Diversity Pedagogy and how to incorporate it into teaching?
Tuesday, November 16
• Sheet, R.H. (2009). What Is Diversity Pedagogy? 16 (3), 11-17. Retrieved September 16, 2010 from http://www.eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal/search/detailmini.jsp?_nfpb=true&_&ERICExtSearch_SearchValue_0=EJ847137&ERICExtSearch_SearchType_0=no&accno=EJ847137.
• Fogg, P. (2007). A Dozen Teaching Tips for Diverse Classrooms, Retrieved August 8, 2010 from http://chronicle.com/weekly/v54/i09/09b01201.htm