- March 2014 - February 2014 Staff Gift Card Program Awardees Announced
- February 2014 - Stanford engineers create tool to reduce cost of cloud computing
- February 2014 - Professor Stephen Boyd Elected to NAE
You are here
Information Systems & Science
Research in IS focuses on the development and application of mathematical models, techniques, and algorithms for information processing, broadly construed. In addition to work on the core disciplines of information theory and coding, control and optimization, signal processing, and learning and inference, IS research spans several application areas, including biomedical imaging, wireless communications and networks, multimedia communications, Internet, energy systems, transportation systems, and financial systems. Much of this research is interdisciplinary and involves faculty and students from other departments across the university.
Information Systems and Science Sub-Areas:
Faculty in this sub-area develop a broad range of imaging technologies, from devices to systems, for biomedical applications ranging from microscopy to whole-body imaging.
Control and Optimization
This sub-area focuses on the application of controls and optimization to efficient generation and transmission of electrical energy. Examples of this research include:
- Green networks that minimize network energy consumption while continuing to improve performance.
- Networked co-generation systems using solar and flex fuel for home and small business use.
- Research includes transmission and switching in optical, wireless and copper networks across in-building, access, metro, and wide-area network domains.
Information Theory, Communication, and Coding
Faculty in this sub-area conduct research in applications and technology, including systems, signal processing, and analysis for studying the environment. This often includes new sensors and systems for measuring aspects of energy and energy usage, climate and climate change, Earth's hydrologic and carbon cycles, water resources, and oil and gas exploration and extraction.
Nick Bambos, Stephen Boyd, Abbas El Gamal, John Gill, Bernd Girod, Andrea Goldsmith, Sachin Katti, Leonid Kazovsky, Sanjay Lall, Andrea Montanari, Dwight Nishimura, Brad Osgood, Ayfer Özgür, John Pauly, Balaji Prabhakar, Fouad Tobagi, Ben Van Roy, Tsachy Weissman, Howard Zebker